In a recent newsletter I asked my clients and other business associates to share with me their worst interview experience. I also asked a few of my personal friends who are in the position of conducting job interviews. Although some said it wasn’t the worst “interview experience”, I got several comments about odd answers to interview questions they asked, so I decided to use some of those also. Here is what folks told me. Everyone wanted to remain anonymous, so I respect that.
- When an applicant was asked why they left their last job, the response was “because I have a problem taking orders”. (He wasn’t talking about restaurant orders….)
- Applicant took out his smartphone and took a picture of me and said he wanted to put me in his contacts.
- Had on a t-shirt and a pack of cigarettes was rolled in the sleeve (who does that anymore….??)
- Young man to young (female) interviewer: If I get hired, will you go out with me? Or even if I don’t get hired maybe you will.
- Picked his teeth with his (dirty) fingernails.
- The receptionist told me she was putting on make-up in the reception area.
- When asked what her weakness was, the applicant answered “Drinking a bottle of wine every night.” (no, she wasn’t interviewing for a liquor store)
- When an applicant was asked why do you want to work here, she said she was a coffee fanatic and understood the company had free coffee all day long. Another applicant said “I don’t know yet, I guess I’ll decide when we are done with the interview.”
And my personal favorite, the applicant said “I am going to record this interview; I have a trust issue with HR.”
Remember….I can’t make this stuff up……
If you have any stories you want to share, email me and I will be happy to add them to this blog or put them in a future blog. Happy interviewing!